Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's unhealthy

It's quiet around here all of a sudden. Corinne, Kyle, and Ada are back in New York, Annie had to go back to Heber, and my parents are on a road trip. Jon and I agreed to water the garden and watch the animals while they're away, and it's been nice to have a few days to ourselves.

The only downside of the entire situation is that a couple of days before their trip, my mom's poor horse Quincy came down with something grotesque, and by that I mean his skin is shriveling up and peeling off in shards. There's only one explanation, and I don't want to alarm anyone, but he is almost certainly turning into a thestral.

The moment my mom made the grisly discovery coincided exactly with Corinne watching a news story about a boy who got flesh eating bacteria in his face. She was mulling it over in horror when my mom walked in and announced that Quincy's skin was falling off.



The shiny stuff you see is ointment, applied to the raw spots by yours truly. And I don't want to hear anything about the drippiness of it all, because I did the best I could with nearly-solid ointment (that later melted in the sun) and him dancing all over the place. Poor little lamb.

So I've been keeping an eye on him, though I'm the least qualified person to do it. Anything medical makes me want to die. He cut his nose really deep about ten years ago and my mom asked me to hold a diaper to it while she ran and called the vet. I remember catching a glimpse of the gash, and I remember blood splashing onto the cement, and it was all over. I ditched the diaper at his feet and my mom found me two minutes later all slumped over on the floor. Can you blame me?? A HORSE I LOVED was BLEEDING into a DIAPER!

At least my mettle is improving. I haven't come anywhere near blacking out today, even when the vet was curiously peeling the hide off, and despite the squelching sounds I overheard when she put her entire forearm up a very tender place for no short amount of time.

Poor, poor little lamb. :( So! What's for dinner??

2 comments:

  1. Ewwww. So glad I avoided seeing it in person. I hope you're washing your hands really well--flesh eating bacteria and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I feel bad that I'm laughing so hard! Stop talking about serious things in a funny way. That is awful. Kudos to you for even being able to go near that after the diaper incident.

    ReplyDelete